Saturday, November 27, 2010

quesadillas come to the rescue...


last night's bonus round quesadillas from casa oaxaca have come in handy after my trek to the hinterland today - god's country as it were. pattie decided she didn't want her share so i'm eating like a champ...sort of..

so today was a bit of a disappointment but i do appreciate the legacy and cultural importance of the ruins in mitla - i really do, i just thought, maybe, there would be more to it...still very impressive but...anyhow. the town of milta is quite a nice small village with all the charms that come with it. small stores, regular and tourist based, food of various sorts all over, artisan mezcal distilleries...and guys in those wacky three wheel taxis buzzing around everywhere...some of whom want to talk...


a condensed version of a conversation i had today with one of them...

taxi dude: hello! (said as he pulls up in his taxi)
me: hi...
taxi: what are you doing? relaxing?
me: yes, i guess so...
taxi: you've been up to the...um....ruins...?
me: yes...i've been there. i've been all over.
taxi: you have been to the water?
me: water?
taxi: yes...you should go there, i could take you, you could relax there...do you smoke?
me: cigarettes? or marijuana?
taxi: marijuana...i can get you some...help you relax...
me: oh, that's ok...i'm from canada, i don't need any pot...
taxi: you smoke pot?
me: sure, but not a lot...
taxi: mezcal? you've had some mezcal?
me: yes, but i prefer tequila...
taxi: oh...lol...you just haven't had any good mezcal. i like mezcal and some pot, i go and relax that way.
me: that's great.
a woman comes up and wants him to take her...
taxi: you should give me your sunglasses...
me: what?
taxi: you should give them to me i need them so i can see, it's so sunny...so i can see better...
me: i don't think so...
taxi: (now seeming a little pissed off...) you should...come on...give them to me...
me: i don't think so...
and away he went...pissed off...a little...

and so was my trip to mitla...and back in a colectivo...and that's another short but good story...not now.

g. xo

some more pics from today.

a zapotec woman selling nuts near the milta ruins.

a church in mitla that could very well be a thousand or more years old...when i walked up the steps there were broken beer bottles everywhere and it looked as if someone had had a fire up there. some of the ruins are heavily protected, not this one.

these next few pics are from the main site at mitla.





some shots from this mornings action at the organic market.

a place near the market that lets you know they sell pork, goat and chicken.

we had tamales for breakfast.

just a street nearby.

in mitla, if they have to do some road construction, they just lay out some rocks around the hole so you know it's there...



No comments: