Monday, February 20, 2012

up and at 'em....

...at 2 am i was ready to go. wide awake with a sore neck. (i have since figured out how to pound out the pillows to make them flatter.) so i, after figuring out what time it was, napped and such until around 6:30 and have now just finished the lovely breakfast buffet the Ibis does every morning...i think it's a good deal. (i'll have to consult the currency convertor....ok. i did. it's a decent deal for a nice hotel and breakfast...)
this chain hotel, Ibis, is all over europe and they offer an affordable place to stay and give you what you need...no more, no less. the room i have is more than decent and i originally signed up for one night to make sure but will now stay here. it's very central so what the hell. (i had no hotel when i got to the berlin airport so i enlisted the help of a young woman at the tourist info centre and she did the booking for me right there and told me how to get there on the train. sold me the train ticket too..) although. when i was on the train i was looking and consulting my subway map and an older woman across from me asked me where i was going so i showed her. she told me i had to transfer trains even though the young woman at the tourist info had said i didn't have to. a younger woman on the other side of me then said 'no', in english, and the older woman said she would take me to the train i was to be on...lucky. at that point i needed a bathroom and a hotel room so being on a train any longer than i needed to be would have or could have proved bad...
once off the train i asked one guy if i was going the right way and he sent me on my way to the hotel - about a ten minute walk away. and when i walked in the guy said, you must be mr. garnet...
nice.
i feel better today. i have to. after a bunch of nights in my car - which i love but that can add up...and some bad luck, that can happen to anyone it just happened to be happening to me (tickets, cell phones, etc...) i needed a great sleep. (once again a big 'so sorry' to those great pals of mine who saw me at less than my best in boston...) so i am ready to do some walking around. i have my long underwear on - really i do. and i'm gonna see what's what.
i was here in 1986 when the wall was still up and feel like i am, and i am, visiting a whole new place. where to go first? if you have any ideas e.mail me. i'm sure i'll see the usual but if you know things i should see 'fer sure' let me know.
ok.
have fun today.

(the view from my room this morning...now it's just started snowing so that could put a bummer on things today...oh, well, off i go.)



g. xo

1 comment:

Lena said...

i always stay at the ibis at CDG airport because you can get rooms for an hourly rate and after flying overseas a few hours of sleep and a shower is a magical thing.

have fun in berlin, g !