Thursday, February 23, 2012

make mine (a) lambchop.


i keep thinking about a line mishi said i should use on anyone in berlin who asked me why i was in town. "i'm here for the lambchop". sadly, no one has asked me why i'm here. that's ok. i know why. and really it's all part of one big road / flying trip but the lambchop show was the straw that stirred this drink. and so it was tonight.
lambchop at the babylon theatre.



me: excuse me, kurt i don't wanna bother you.

he had said he'd be outside smoking after the show ended and there he was with his drummer scott. just hanging out. smoking. like he said.

kurt: (leaning in towards me looking for my hand which i gave him and he shook it) that's ok. hi.

me: i drove from vancouver to boston and then boarded a plane and flew here to see lambchop play

kurt: (leaning in again and grabbing my should with his hand) you didn't have to come so far, we're playing boston.

me: yes, but i live in vancouver.

kurt: oh...

me: anyways. great. i'm gonna try and come tomorrow as well.

kurt: thanks...

me: bye.



and so it was. i hope he doesn't think i'm a stalker...i had met some dutch guys earlier in the evening who kept me occupied while we were waiting for the band to start. they didn't really know lambchop but had heard a few things and liked what they had heard. they had driven down from holland and were just hanging out for a few days. peter and huke. good guys.




i told ailsa this and i'll tell you now as well. there's no way that the show could live up to what i had in my mind's eye and ears after such a long trip and the time to think about it, over and over. so. i'll say this.
it was great. and as i told ailsa, it's him. and it's how the songs he's written move through him and are translated by his band for him. all great players. his voice is as amazing live as it is on cd or lp. yes lp. it was a lower tempo show than i had expected, with only three so-called uptempo numbers thrown in but, the songs are so great, and he's so humble and charming and...shit, it sounds like i'm trying to date kurt wagner...anyhow...i am very happy i saw them and may, indeed, try and go to the show tomorrow.
then again, i may just leave it as is.


big day. i'll let you in on what's up tomorrow. tomorrow. it's cool.


g. xo


No comments: