Wednesday, August 01, 2007

one more tom that i loved



http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-tue_snyder_0731jul31,0,1830640.column

I have written and re-written this blog entry trying to get it just right, but I just can’t seem to. So, in an effort to get it in line with what’s in my head I’ll just shoot forward and hope for the best.
From an early age I had an interest in radio and television, and later in life went on to do a little broadcasting myself. I won’t bore you with the details of my career – or lack thereof, in professional broadcasting but what I will tell you is this – my entire idea of how broadcasting should be done and how I approached it was centered around my interest and fascination with Tom Snyder. From the SNL skits I first saw in my early teens with Dan Aykroyd playing Snyder – with cigarette dangling in hand and over the top mumblings and musings, to the actual Tomorrow Show late after Carson, it made clear in my head how this form of media should be done. Tom pulled no punches, made clear he was who he was and that wasn’t changing and asked the questions he wanted the answers to – often times without any regard of the guests and how they may not want to answer those questions. Monologues about his weekend and his ‘companion’, his dog, Mother Snyder, his trains and living in Marin county and LA. Interviews with Manson, Johnny Rotten, Elvis Costello and many others were classic Snyder. I’m sure youtube has the SNL skits of Snyder. Look it up. I haven’t but I will.
Snyder lost his late night slot and was replaced by David letterman in the 80’s. I was hurt but grew to love Letterman. When letterman moved from NBC to CBS he made it part of his deal with them that he got to slot and produce whatever came after him on the air. He chose to bring back Snyder to late night. Snyder had never left broadcasting but had been bouncing around radio and some TV work at CNBC. I was very happy to see him back. A few short years later he was gone again replaced by Craig Kilborn.
His last night on CBS was an emotional one for me. I watched as he thanked those who made it all happen, the clips from previous shows and a last monologue. I never thought I’d feel the way I did about someone I had never actually met, but I felt as though I was losing a friend.
Tom had a website that was filled with pictures of his dog, his house in Marin county and a daily rant that I read from time to time but it wasn’t the same as seeing him on TV or hearing him on the radio – which I would do as I drove around the US in my car late at night. I e-mailed him a few times through his website and told him that I had patterned my radio career around him and how he had been a huge influence on me. He e.mailed me back and thanked me for the kind words. I wish I knew where that e.mail was now.
Tom died a few days ago and I didn’t see or hear of it until last night when my friend Craig called me to talk to me about it . I didn’t even know tom was sick.
Anyways. I’ll miss you tom. We’ll miss you. Guys like you don’t come along every day. The honest types. The shoot from the hip types. The no-bullshit types. Someone who is talking to you, not at you.
That’s that. Thanks tom.

g. xo

No comments: