Wednesday, August 08, 2007

more lemonade, more cookies, more borne. less asshole.



He’s done it and it doesn’t matter. Either way. As far as affecting my life and such, but I will say this – and I’ve said it before. As a kid growing up I watched Mark Fidrych, Luis tiant, Alan Trammel and as a young man, Cal Ripkin Jr, Kirby Puckett and a like, the guys who played for the love of the game. Guys who had the respect of their teammates and the fans alike. Guys who never ever got worked up about contracts and money. They knew they were blessed to play the game and were in a position many would give their eyeteeth for. They knew. They weren’t assholes like Barry Bonds. They didn’t drive teammates away, make them request trades to other teams, hate and despise them. They gave of themselves and for the good of the team. Barry’s here for Barry. Barry’s a dick. Forget the steroid shit, Barry’s just an asshole. Plain and simple. The Gordie Howe’s, the Dino Ciccarelli’s, the Steve Larmer’s and even the Trevor Linden’s. Good guys, great players. Leaders and contributors without a sense of centering the attention on them.
I once told Corie I thought I may have gotten farther in this world by being more an asshole. Maybe had more money, more stuff, more everything. If I had just been a little more of an asshole, set myself first more. He said that would, maybe, be true except for one thing – I wouldn’t have what I did have by being less of an asshole. The most valuable of course being my friends. I’m sure Barry has pals but more for who he is than for what he is as a man. I can live with that.
The job moves along with shooting now a month or so away. Things are still at a nice level though. I know soon the shit will hit and it will be all hands on deck and it’ll never be enough but, for now, we’re all doing pretty well. And the god lord willin’ and if the creek don’t rise, we’ll be fine…for now.
A big shout-out today to Ang who went far beyond the call of duty and bought me a raft of Santa Cruz lemonade…I love that shit. She also pushed some hot out of the oven chocolate oatmeal cookies my way last night, which I don’t need but sure loved…thanks Ang. (she works at a certain grocery store that has a lot of good cookies and lemonade…)
Tonight it’s off to ambleside to run Stella around and eat some takeout…from somewhere.
New Bourne movie later this week….

More later.

g. xo

No comments: