Friday, December 03, 2010

on the way out.


''no, i'm just lookin' 'round,
thanks a lot.
i gotta be goin' now.
will i get caught'

freedy johnston - 'on the way out'

a long day of walking, putting on the finishing touches, buying the last of the gifts to take home, is over and i'm ready to call it a day. or night. tomorrow morning will find me on a bus bound for mexico city and after a few days there a flight home. i'm ready.
but on my way out i want to say this - i love this town. sure, nothing's perfect, but i will not make that list here...maybe never. oaxaca is a city you need to visit to really understand it. pictures help but don't do it justice - hopefully i was able to show you some of my short life here. a life filled with great food, small exciting adventures and a school that almost broke me but that i survived. it was good i took the last week off - for my brain, my sanity and so that i could have a little vacation while i was here - i think for a while i lost sight of the vacation portion of this trip but quickly regained my balance and made out very well.
people. i also met some great people while i was here. alex was the first real connection. a young man in awe and wonder of the world and excited to try all it has to offer. he's a canvas only just started. go forth. zach and julie - truly amazing and without whom i would have lost my mind several times. bill from wisconsin. a man whi understands my love of cutting grass because he has his own love of it. i will, one day, show-up on his doorstep. beware. emily from en via. whose good work down here has inspired me to do just a little bit more. keep up the great work! cassie and garret. a couple from seattle who are now essentially homeless and without certain direction - in a good way. life will be oaxaca for the next few months and then they'll decide what's next. good plan. wendy from santa rosa. still in wonder after years when it may have worn off of other people. jack, an great soul from london who showed me the way to the esquites! thanks jack. i am forever in your debt. david and linda from down under who i really didn't get to hang out witht hat much but who i really enjoyed a great deal. my neighbours - and partners in crime - richard and pattie. i couldn't have handpicked a better pair to have live above me through this whole time. the times with no water. richard and i sneaking into the main house to shower only an hour after meeting each other. eating dinners with them, having adventures. perfect. we shall meet again soon when they come to vancouver in feb. luiz and kaylyn. great. the patience shown towards me and my poor spanish. i truly enjoyed my time with them, walking and attempting to converse in spanish. sure, maybe more english than spanish but always interesting and fun. great helado too.
an big thanks to tyler, chris, jim, ji, zulie, ellie, kevin, elizabeth and parker...all good folks who made it a fun place to be.

take care, all of you.

ok. i'm off to bed and the up to turn the hot water to cold and then hit the road.

garncarlos.

xo

No comments: