Friday, June 12, 2009

against my better judgement

so here's a story for you...a bit messy in parts but, i know you'll be able to follow along...you're smart.
today i was cutting grass at 28th and st. george, not far from main street. i'm never that far away from my car and since there are or is always someone around - people working in their yards, kids playing, etc - i don't close and lock my car. i know, i know, my mistake and one i'm well aware of so please don't tell me so...anyhow...
i'm never more than 1/2 a block or less from the car and today was no different. at one point, i was in the backyard of one of the houses - i do two places that are side by side - and a guy got my attention by yelling at me over the fence. he asked me if i needed and help, if i was hiring. i told him that, sorry, i didn't need anyone. he said thanks and went away. a short time later, within minutes, a woman got my attention by yelling and then asked me if the guy who had been talking to me worked for me. i said no and then she tod me he had gone into my car and taken something...well, that something was my new canon camera. nice.
i drove around the 'hood looking for him but couldn't find him. i went back to the houses and finished up the lawn and thanked the woman and told her that if she saw him again to let me know. she told me she'd seen him around before and that he was a local guy. as she was telling me this my pal leeanne, who lives upstairs in the building i cut the grass of, came home and i told her what had happened. she told me that justice, the guy who owned the building that i was cutting grass at, had had one of his family bikes stolen the week before and thought they knew who it was but couldn't be sure. just then justice came out of the house and i told him what had happened. he was not happy about it and told his bike story. when i told him the woman across the street had seen the guy go in my car he thought that was good because now they/we had a witness and maybe it was the guy he suspected of stealing his bike. the woman who saw the guy in my car came over and she and justice exchanged descriptions of the guy and came to the conclusion that it was the same guy and justice said he knew how to find him.
justice called me later on, maybe an hour later, and gave me the guy's phone number which i, in turn, gave to the cops. i will give them a fair crack at it but if nothing happens in a day or so, i'll be making my own phone call. his name is paul. and he may get some good old fashioned frontier justice. who knows, if may be exciting. but really, i just want my camera back. if you want his number, i'll give it to you.
and there you have it...good times.

g. xo

No comments: