Tuesday, March 28, 2006

music that changed the world...for me....

Lately there have been some lists here and there regarding top ten lists and desert island discs etc…I know there are albums I can’t live without but that list would be a long one, one list I have been thinking about is a few albums that defined my life in some way.
Here they are…

Freedy Johnston – Can You Fly
This album came along at a time when I needed something brand new and different. The album itself wasn’t groundbreaking but it was exactly what I needed. I had been listening to a lot of rocket, drive like jehu and jesus lizard and one night we, the snfu boys and I, went to see Uncle Tupelo at the cruel elephant and feedy opened the show. He was so good and this album didn’t leave my cd player for a long time.

Kiss – Destoyer
My sister bought me this album when I was in grade six I believe. Shout it out loud became an anthem of sorts. My friends and I listened to this record over and over. It was the start of a long love affair with kiss. I still have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Aerosmith – Rocks
Toys in the attic was great but Rocks was the one for me. The long and short of it is probably longer than it needs to be but hear this, you need this album or at least their greatest hits package. Let the music do the talkin’.

Afghan Whigs – Gentleman and Black Love
I couldn’t decide which was the one that influenced me the most. I love both of these albums. What jail is like on gentlemen is a rock moment like not many others. That’s the truth.

Richmond Fontaine – Lost Son
For years I heard about willy and Richmond Fontaine but could never fine their albums. On one trip to Portland I found lost son and it was all over. From the first notes of saviour of time and then contrails by track 5…I had been listening to uncle tupelo, son volt, etc. and this fit in so perfectly with that. Richmond fontaine may have saved my life a few times.

Uncle Tupelo – Still feel gone
The snfu boys really introduced me to uncle tupelo and changed my direction for the better. An uncle tupelo show was a great thing and I was bummed when they decided to split but what came of that, in the form of two great new bands made it ok. Gun on Still feel gone is awesome.

Replacements – Pleased to meet me
Alex Chilton alone is worth the price of admission.

Buffalo Tom – Let me come over
Certain songs on this album still conjure of images I’d love to forget but that are so deeply implanted in my heart I can’t erase them. They don’t hurt anymore but man, it was a killer then.

Cheap Trick – Heaven Tonight
Well, what can I tell ya? Nothing really. This is the best of the first three albums by rick and the boys. The first three are the only cheap trick albums you really need, and you do need them.

David Bowie – Alladin Sane and Hunky Dory
That’s that. period. Although heroes was a bit of a killer too…

Eleventh Dream Day – Lived to tell
Rose of Jerhico and I could be lost…love it.

Elvis Costello – this year’s model
I’m tried of writing why…so I won’t anymore..fuck, it’s elvis…’nuff said.

Giant sand – Center of the universe
howard gelb abd giant sand..cool hippies not stinky hippies...

Jackson Browne – running on empty
i drank a lot of beer in marty basso's basement listening to this...

Neil Young – On the beach
even more beer with marty...this and the decade album...bruce barry was a workin' man...he used to love that econoline van..

Lambchop – how I quit smoking
i may have been the onbly guy running a printing press while listening to this album...

Lemonheads – it’s a shame about ray
my soft side...

Lou Reed – Street Hassle
my not so soft side...

Lucinda Williams – Sweet Old World
wanna see me cry?

Superchunk – No pocky for kitty
over and over again in my cassette player in my honda civic...how great were they?

Scud Mountain Boys - Massachusetts
whenever i'd have a fight with ratchel i'd listen to this album..i listened to it a lot...

Prince – 1999
good one...

Ramones – Road to ruin
bought this in seattle in 1979...this one really did set me on a different course...

Shudder to think – 50,000 BC
exactly what i needed right then and there...

Buy these. You’ll feel better

1 comment:

Graeme said...

great selection of albums there - especially agree, Richmond Fontaine are brilliant