Tuesday, August 04, 2009

pickle, track and the orr's

terry orr rocking the chops.

It was the return of Mr. Pickle yesterday and an early one at that. The Pickle doesn’t usually open until 11 a.m. but I had it all sorted and open by 9:45 a.m. I like getting it open early…then I can relax, get a coffee from the JJ Beaners and get ready to sell some goods to the folks. I only worked half the day and then headed off home to get ready to hit the track.
I hadn’t been to the track for many, many years but had good reason to go yesterday. Marcy’s good pal, Rosanne, well her family are horse folks. Big time horse folks. The Bennett’s, as in W.C. Bennett or Bill Bennett, are mover and shakers in the B.C. horse world and had a few of their stock running yesterday…I had also been invited to have lunch at Mina and Brent’s because the Orr’s were in town – good pals of mine who have chosen freedom 45 as their new way of life – so it was all close and easy so I was able to do both activities without breaking much of a sweat…
The track is always good fun…lots of weird characters making bets and clutching programs and sometimes, drunk. I really like it but only had time to stay for two races. I won $65.00 in the fifth race – a Bennett horse helping with that. And then I lost some in the sixth race but still walked out with a few bucks. Marcy and Byron were there as well but Byron didn’t fair as well with his wagering. I saw a lot of old hipsters/punk rock dudes there making their play at the big score…good luck to them.
It was great to see the Orr’s, Terry and Sheryl and their daughter Jasmine – and eat some fine grub courtesy of Brent and Mina. They recently decided to give it all up and move to Mexico. They sold everything in Calgary, bought a house down south, put a second floor on it and now rent out the top two rooms for cheap…so you should go. I’m thinking of going…I don’t think they’re ever coming back. And I don’t blame ‘em. I’m getting in deeper, real estate-wise, and they’re surfing and eating burritos…every day. Check out their site…you’ll wanna go.
after the orr/belke/shum fiesta, i headed home and had a quick shower and headed off to NU for some snacks and birthday action with sara, fawn, jr and megan. i can't say the food was really great but the company and stories made up for it....nice. then it was bed time...i'm back to school and it was a school night after all....
Ok…back to the grind…more as it develops…

g. xo

my winning tickets.

jasmine and terry.

the ponies making me money.

small cones.

sheryl.

mina.

larry, rosanne's husband, watches the horses.

winner!

brent relaxes.

fawn and jr at Nu

No comments: