Wednesday, December 09, 2009

one day at band camp.


years ago, shortly after i got out of high school, i started working at the university of british columbia radio station, citr 101.9 fm. the early days were hazy, really, but one of the things i do remember is a t-shirt i made that consisted of a photo a listener had sent in - a woman i never ever met or ever knew who she was - and typeset and designed by don bull. the show was called 'life after bed' and was the start of an, almost, 20 year run in radio that ended some years later at the cbc doing national shows - i was a somebody once. the shirts were a hot item being one of the first show t-shirts ever made there. it was a fun show and went on for many years with me at the helm with guido and barry and capt. ned as sidekicks.
one of the t-shirts was given to a girl i went to high school with and somehow ended-up being wore more by her little sister, michelle. i recently re-met michelle and she told me how much she loved that shirt. today she sent me a picture of her in the shirt. i believe she's in the neighbourhood of 13 years old here. she's 38 now.
i love it. the whole picture works for me. as a stamp of a period of time.

thanks michelle.

g. xo

1 comment:

tamara said...

you gave me one too, for my 18th b-day in 1984...i wore that thing for years, until it was nothing but shreds. i loved that shirt.
i still have a life after bed poster you gave me too, in a scrap book with all my music stuff from the day. good times. xo