Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wonderin’, waitin’ and worryin’ about silly little things that don’t add up to nothin’

That’s the way it can be.

I was out having dinner with my friend jenny the other night and she mentioned to me that she had read ‘the blog’ this blog and felt like she was spying on someone she didn’t really know that well. (I know jenny though a friend and our dinner the other night was the first time we had ever just hung out) she mentioned that she had read it or begun to read it and then had stopped because she felt like it wasn’t right, that she was reading about someone’s life that she, maybe, shouldn’t be reading about. I assured her that it was all in the public domain and that I didn’t write anything that I ever worried about in as much as who read it. And that’s a fact. She mentioned a few passages in one recent posting, Sugar Twin, and asked me about them. Or rather pointed them out as an example of something she felt strange reading. As we spoke more about it she mentioned that there were things in the posting that she wondered about, if they were true, whom I was writing about, etc. then the light went on. I told her that posting such as Sugar Twin and A Kiss That No One Sees and Hotwire Spark are works of fiction and that, while they may be inspired by real events, loosely, they are, fiction. And I added that to anyone who knows me, or most, they know that to which she said something I had never really thought about or considered - not everyone who reads my blog, this blog, knows me as well as some others who do. Read this. Good point.

I wrote, for many years, a column called the Cowshead Chronicles that was very similar to the blog in that it moved between fact and fiction without having to state that that was what was happening. It seemed obvious to me, but it would. I was writing it.

So what’s the remedy? I don’t know. I can only do what I do and hope people pick up the difference and see what may be true, what’s fiction and what may be complete bullshit. But I’m glad she made that point, it makes sense to me, it’s on the money.

I guess as a rule of thumb if you read something on here about a guy living somewhere in the states, maybe in his car, or hanging out in Wal Mart parking lots, etc…it’s probably not me…although I have slept in a Wal Mart parking lot before in the states…..

g. xo

No comments: