Saturday, May 23, 2009

marty basso was a friend of mine.

i was going to tell you all about my last couple of days. how i worked 18 hours the other day (and how that went...), then slept for four hours and then back at it...and how in that time i cut three lawns as well...and...
but i'm not going to tell you any of that...not really. (beware rambling entry coming on....)
i met marty basso around 1977 when i was living in prince rupert. i had seen him around before that, as rupert was and still is a small town, but we hadn't really met officially. we had been on opposing sports teams before that, baseball and basketball, but never on the same team and never in the same school. for a small town rupert had a lot of elementary schools and marty went to the catholic school down the hill from my school so it wasn't until junior high that we started to see more of each other and became team mates and later great friends.
marty and i experienced a lot of firsts together as young men with some of these firsts coming as highs and others as lows but all important in their own way. we learned from each other and the wrong steps we sometimes made were just a little bit easier because we had each other around.
marty was an exceptional athlete and naturally gifted when it came to basketball and made everyone on the court better by just being around. i learned a lot from him when playing with him and was often in awe of his skill on the floor.
marty was also gifted in the looks dept. as well and i used to love when issy's would tell me about marty coming to visit her at the UBC hospital, when she was working there, and he'd stroll into her office after being at the gym and her secretary's would always mention to her how much they liked it when marty would come to visit.
through the years marty and i moved in and out of each other's lives mainly because marty was at UBC and moved a few times between vancouver and price rupert before finally settling back here for good and eventually becoming the shop teacher at van tech. i'd visit him from time to time at high school to see what he was up to, other times marty would come by whatever fx shop i was working at and we'd load him up with scrap metal and bits and pieces of this and that to give to his students.
as the years went on we saw less of each other but had the kind of relationship that would pick-up at whatever point we had left off the last time we saw each other. i liked that about us. with marty working full time as a shop teacher and me in film it made our time together less and less but we would talk via e.mail or on the phone and if there was a gathering at his place i'd try and drop-by and see who i recognized from the 'old' days.
marty finally found the love of his life a few years ago, helen, and after dating a while made the leap and married her - i took issy as my date to his wedding. and not long after that, well long enough, marty and helen had a little boy, david.
marty was a great friend and an even better brother, son and husband. i knew him well and was proud to call him a friend.
marty died friday after a battle with cancer and will be sadly missed by all who knew him. and while we did drift apart, i feel a void already knowing that i can't just phone him, or e.mail him or drop by his school and just say hello. just because.
today as i drove from richmond to vancouver on my way to another lawn, issy told me the news. at first i didn't process it or what it meant but as i made my way down 41st ave towards blenheim st. it began to sink in. and before i knew it i was having a bit of a meltdown and needed to just go and sit somewhere and just sit. be still and try and get my big boy pants back on, and as 'luck' would have it i was a block from tom and judy's place so i made my way to their carport. and just sat there. then after a while, knew that one of the reasons i cut grass is to zen out and just think and, sometimes, forget about everything and just mow. so i left the carport and headed over to bubbles and erin's and got down to business. and, for a bit, the world was back on its axis.
marty basso was a good man and i'll miss him. and while it's sad how, sometimes, this sort of thing has to happen to make us think of those around us, and how we feel about each other, i know how i feel about my friends and try, as best i can, to tell them how i feel, it happens and we can't ignore it nor should we. and if i haven't told you lately that i love you, i do. and if i haven't seen you for a while, please know that i think about you and wish i could see you more. i need to work on that. and if you have people in your life that you wish you could see more. call them. and even if you can't see them in person, tell them you were thinking of them, and that you love them. you'll feel better once you do.
wherever you are marty, thanks.
ok...i'm sorry for the rambling...

i love you.

g. xo

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met Marty while in Grade 9 at Booth Memorial High in Pr. Rupert.
As far as I can remember, he was one of the most smartest kids in our class and school.
He loved the sport of Basket Ball and I always picture him in my mind with a Ball tucked up under his arm, A PRSS RainMaker Jersey and big floppy Court shoes on. Did I forget to mention; a Smile a mile wide?
Yep, That was Mart (as alot of his friends knew him as) and Mostly My Brother Brian who was a good friend of his as well.
Well, Friday on the phone, My mother called me to let me know Marty passed. It took awhile for it to sink in but when it did, I couldn't accept it. I knew Marty was ill and in poor health but was not expecting him to leave us so soon.
After Graduating from PRSS in '82 The gang (Brian P, Darrell H, Todd F, Ted F, and of course, Marty) all went thier own ways.
I remember Brian always telling mom that he was "goin over to Marty's place for awhile"
So many things to talk about. Marty, was a terrific person. A guy who would always take a stranger under his wing and make him an instant friend despite where he came from or what he was about.
God Bless you Marty, You will be sadly missed.
BP.

Anonymous said...

I was a student of Marty's for a couple of years, he was one of my favorite teachers, I remember he would always give lectures to the students about life after highschool and give them advice, he was a good guy and cared about his students.

thank you Mr. Basso,

you will be missed

babylon spilotica said...

so you are one of those people for me in my life that i have lost over the many years, found, & lost again. i don't know if we'll ever get to see each other again- but i wanted to tell you that you were my good friend so many years ago, & i love you for that. tamara.

your favorite idiot said...

oh...you'll see me again sometime....at least i hope so.

g. xo

Anonymous said...

i am marty`s younger cousin, roger, from prince rupert. i just want to thank you for the nice write up about marty on your blog. your few words give a great idea of who and what kind of giving person marty was. marty was always someone i looked up to and wanted to be like while growing up. also having played bball like all the basso`s seemed to do, i was usually under foot somewhere while growing up. thanks again for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

Marty and I worked together at Van Tech for alot of years. I moved to another town at the other end of the province but every time I went back to Vancouver, Marty was the first person I would go and see. I only just found out and it feels like I'm missing a part of my life. Marty, you'll be missed and thought of often. My heart and prayers go out to your family. A shot of tequilla to you my friend.

Ron

Mister C said...

Marty and I worked together at Van Tech for alot of years. I moved to another town at the other end of the province but every time I went back to Vancouver, Marty was the first person I would go and see. I only just found out and it feels like I'm missing a part of my life. Marty, you'll be missed and thought of often. My heart and prayers go out to your family. A shot of tequilla to you my friend.

Ron

Anonymous said...

you were one of the first people to open your arms and welcome me. and it was sincere. i didn't get to say goodbye, i had no idea it was so bad b/c you were emailing me and asking me how i was doing just weeks before-but that's who you were, always thinking of someone else and making their day brighter. i'm so sorry i didn't get to say goodbye and tell you this in person. you made a difference and you are missed.

Anonymous said...

Marty, for quite awhile, was the best baller in Rupert. Anyone who played at the Civic Centre knows that if Marty was on your team, you'd own the court. As I got older, I appreciated what he brought to the court, even playing pick-up. That dude could play man.

I know that seems rather superficial, but I learned how to compete from Marty, and I'll always remember him fondly.

Anonymous said...

I just found out lastnight that Marty died. I met him at BCIT.
Marty was a genuine kind of a guy and I wanted to catch up with him. Marty was always very generous and helped a lot of us out at various times when we were going through teacher training. I wish you were still around Marty...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. It is more than 3 years after Marty's death and I just found out today. I am on my way to a fishing trip in Prince Rupert and mentioned to someone who lived there that I knew Marty and they told me the bad news. He was my first crush at UBC, we both were varsity b-ball players. I am so happy to see that he found the true love in his life and had a child. He would have been a good teacher too. Thanks so much for your blog so that I could find out a little more about someone who touched my life. I wish I could have seen him again to let him know.