Thursday, November 15, 2007

me and stephen shore...pals.



I fight with things constantly. Not big things. Little nagging bits and pieces. I have had ideas that I have thought were pretty good ideas and have not acted on them and later, not always, regret at least not trying them. I’m trying, now, to change some of that…things that will never, probably, make me a million dollars but things that could be fun and take my brain to a different place for at least a small amount of time. I hope.



I have always enjoyed and gotten something, not sure what exactly, out of taking pictures. I was lucky enough, by way of a friend, display some of my photos this year at Bean Around the World. And while not hugely successful, it was a good thing for me to have done. I’m glad I did. And I thank Byron for the opportunity.
That said I have a bit of a Jones right now to take some more photos. It’s funny how things happen. I’ll be out in the desert again in December with Shauna and will have the opportunity to take a few more while I’m out there. In Arizona I took some photos, that I didn’t show, of streets in Tucson and in Santa Cruz that were plain in scope but still very interesting, at least to me. Shortly after I had taken these photos, and some like them, I was looking at some photos by Stephen Shore, a famous photographer who has for a great part of his career done exactly what I have started doing. And a part of me feels like it’s been done so why should I continue but I still get something out of it so I’m gonna continue. So there.

I’ve also decided to try and write a book based on my experience cutting grass. Why I do it, the Zen aspect – not that I’m a Buddhist or anything…I wouldn’t know where to start…. but I think it’s been good for me, even on the bad days cutting when the mower dies in the middle of a lawn or I run out of gas, etc…I still love it. A bad day cutting grass is better than the best day working on a film. That’s the truth. You can write that down and save it for a rainy day. My pal Dr. Rob, a professor dude at UBC is on board to help me write it so it may actually get done…if not the process should be rewarding anyways. It has a title; it just needs some filler – pictures, tips, tales of cut grass. I smell best seller.

The Yard - a nickname that never stuck when I fist moved into the loft on Cordova street (I named it and no one hooked onto the idea…), is almost done in terms of the recent renos. There’s clean up to be done, things to be put back on the walls, and a few more saws to be broken out to change a closet or two but it’s getting better…. I’ll invite you over to see it when it’s done…

More later.

g. xo

ps.. a quicktime movie you may like....

http://www.jaymovies.com/2006/05/stephen_shore.html

No comments: