Tuesday, January 19, 2010

room.

i'm not sure what prompted it but yesterday i was thinking about a song i used to love - not that unusual i suppose, thinking of a song. but, the song - and i'm sure it's still awesome - or not - was one i listened to a lot as a kid, at least during one period of time. and, truth be told, i have tried to find the song on-line since and have had no luck and am not going to start asking around for it from my pals because....well, just because. the song is 'room to breathe' by hall and oates. i know, i know. but it was good, as i remember it.
i remember i was living in prince rupert with my parents and we had just built, not me but collectively us, a new room onto our place, a rec room with a platform bed with walls around it and an opening to get into it, hard to describe but pretty fucking cool in 1977 or '78. it was also the year i first pierced my ear - something my mother did not see until a long time later as i was wearing my hair long and hair farmer-like at the time. she was not impressed. the rec room was wicked. i had a small stereo in there that i would use to crank up the kiss, steve miller and foghat records i had standing by. my parents would stomp on the ceiling when it was time to come up for dinner or if there was a phone call or...the rug was short pile with a geometric pattern of some sort, brown and orange as i remember. beautiful.
there were two windows that were long and narrow and they looked out to the backyard - which was really just brush and offered no view of anything really. these windows were also perfect, at night, for performing air guitar. i could see my refelction in the window and i thought it was pretty cool to rock out and pretend i was a member or kiss or that i was frampton or steve miller. or hall and oates. sad but true. i loved that song.
i think as i was talking with a friend yesterday on the interweb, we were talking of past things and loves and likes and ...well, i guess something lia said made me think of my life in the rec room and my life, to a degree in prince rupert and me moving through my early teens. a time of discovery - to be sure - and lessons and learning those lessons that hard way often times. a fighting, blood fueled, foosball, eightball, rep. hockey, pot smoking kind of time.
i loved those years.

g. xo

No comments: